9 am – 9:45 am: Camp Agenda
- SciTech Kids discuss what an ecosystem is and what types of organisms we find our urban ecosystem: Central Park. Kids learn new vocabulary words such as living things (biotic) and nonliving things (abiotic).
10 am – 11:45 am:
- They explore Central Park with a magnifying glass, observation box and apps to collect and examine animals-and plants. Some campers An app to capture pictures of their organisms to identify their genus and species.
- Students make a permanent piece of sun art of the items collected such as leaves using sun-sensitive paper or a leaf rubbing.
- Using a visual recognition technology, kids may use the app leafsnap to help them identify species of trees, in minutes, after photographing them.
- Kids attach their sun-sensitive paper to their journal and record their findings.
- Kids take a break in the park to play sports or games.
1:00 pm – 1:50 pm – STEAM Activity #1
- SciTech Explorers learn the science behind launching rockets. First, they experiment with film canister rockets. Then they design a launching pad and launching tube and to see how Alka Seltzer rocket fuel powers their rockets!
2:00 pm – 2:55 pm. -STEAM Activity #2
- Kids learn math through music using our innovative music curriculum written by a renowned music composer.